Saturday, August 14, 2010

The end of softball

I think my tenure on my church's fast-pitch softball team has come to an end. After two summer seasons of sitting on the bench more than 70% of the time, I have determined that I'm not getting enough out of it. There are two main reasons for this: (1) I'm not as good as the other players on my team, and (2) the coach's philosophy that only the best available players get playing time. If this were a high school, college, or professional team, then I would agree with the coach's philosophy. However, this is a church league (for Heaven's sake!)...with only three teams. One of us will come in first, someone will come in second, and the other team will come in third. Are we really so prideful that we must come in first place? And all this assumes that if the coach puts me in a game to play right field that I will single-handedly lose the game. With a few exceptions, single players do not win or lose a game in a team sport. I am perturbed, frustrated, and embarrassed. This does not make me think fondly about joining the team for a third year.

I still like softball, though. So what I need to do is find a team/league that is less competitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment